Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Falling of the Plateau

Last week, I had the pleasure of taking my vehicle to the dealership, if you can call it that. The pleasure, I mean. The engine light was on. I couldn't fix it with oil, antifreeze, or transmission fluid. They plug your vehicle into the computer to find out what's wrong. That is an immediate charge of $89. Why? They don't have to spent 2 hours looking for the problem. Then they don't have the part, but they can get it. Also, along with the fee for the sensor, there is a list of things my vehicle needs that will total $2,000. I decide to just do the air sensor. It won't take too long, so I decide not to have them shuttle me home.

Alas, the trip starts going downhill fast. They are inflating gigantic balloons near the waiting room. I try to wait outside, as I have done before, but the temperature is 32o. It won't hit 50o for a couple of hours. I spend my time in the service area next to the pile of tires, no chair to sit on, but I can lean against the wall a lot while I read. also, for my enjoyment, it's all windowed so I get "free" entertainment watching all the mechanics working in their bays. I can't figure out whose working on my van, but the guy in the next bay is snapping his latex gloves on & off . My hood is open. The airborn rubber protiens have become hitchhikers on my engine. I end up spending 4 hours there because the part was only available at the furthest dealership.

The hives are popping up in my mouth, and my driving is poorly focused as i drive home. I'm having a reaction. Of course. I can't stay much longer than 15 minutes in any public place. i'm usually homebound for 2 days with a reaction and stoned on benadryl, even tho' I know it can take 3 days to recover. Well the 3rd day, I was still in the reaction. The 4th day I had to cancel an important fun day for me. (Latex Allergy allows me about 3 of those a year and not necessarily the ones most important to me.) The 6th day I get some groceries. I'm still reactive or I'm rebounding. After 7 days stoned on benadryl, not getting out of the reaction, I am frustrated with my whole life and what I can't do. On the 8th day I hold the benadryl and get into the doctor's office for a script for prednisone.

I haven't mentioned all the anger, frustration, feeling like crap, and the revelations about what I can no longer do that have gone through my mind this past week. I do know in my heart that this disease is progressive. There is no textbook about NRLA, just those of us who have it.

Sal

No comments: