Friday, April 13, 2007

My Latex Allergy

Pardon me already. I can't figure out how to publish from my drafts yet. I wrote this on the 11th.

Well this sure is an issue all the time for me and countless others. It reeks havoc for us, or we can just let it roll off our backs. That is easier said than done.

Sometimes it just has to do with how severe the problem can be.

So many of us with natural rubber latex allergy have so little control over our lives. With over 40,000 items in every day life containing natural rubber latex, we have no way to control exposures. We have no way to control reactions. There really is no where we can go without an exposure and usually a reaction.

Many times we will appear to others as anxious, crazy is a more explicit description. Many people including doctors have told us we are stressed out or it's all in our heads.

Some symptoms include hives, swollen eyes and/or lips, difficulty breathing, constant coughing, mental confusion, wheezing, visual changes, no breathing. There are so many more. My brain is lacking at the moment. Don't worry, I'll probably list some others in a different post.

These reactions can not be conjured up in our minds. A rash does not occur from in your mind. A rash does not occur from being stressed out from Christmas shopping for gifts for 2 people.

If you had any of these symptoms, your body would alert you to fight to survive, just as ours do. The fight to survive comes from the feeling of imminent death.

Anxiety is an important warning signal. Wouldn't you get a bit anxious if death was right there for you?

The sad part is that doctors don't always understand this. I guess it's just up to all of us to educate them. It's the only way to change it.

Sal

No comments: